This locomotive had the following characteristics:
The 803 was in A&Y service on a rental basis from September 3, 1946 until at least August 30, 1948, when A&Y President and General Manager E. L. Faulconer requested that it be included in the lease agreement instead. Mr. Faulconer mentioned to Mr. G.W. Adams, General Manager of the Southern, that business was such that the A&Y could use two additional 21" firebox consolidations. Mr. Adams offered the A&Y the 440 and the 454, then available at Spencer but needing repairs. On October 1, 1948, Mr. Adams agrees to convert the 803 from rented to leased, and it appeared to serve on the A&Y until it was folded into the Winston-Salem division in 1950. The 803 was retired in January 1952 according to the roster recorded by R.E. Prince.
This website is copyrighted 1998-2016 by David M. Bott. Images appearing on this website may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law, donor restrictions, and other rights or policies. The Railroad Roman font used in the title was bought from Ben Coifman. Persons who contemplate copying and using font or images should obtain all necessary permissions pertaining to use. Authorization to use images credited to the North Carolina Collection, University of N.C. Library at Chapel Hill should be sought from the Collection at CB#3934, Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27514-8890. Telephone 919-962-7992. Images credited to the North Carolina State Library Photo Archives are considered in the public domain. Images credited to others or unknown are subject to copyright restrictions and permission for use should be obtained.
This page last edited Thursday, September 27, 2018