This locomotive had the following characteristics:
This was another class J Consolidation built by Baldwin in Philadelphia (s/n 22043) in 1903 for the Southern Railway. The number was kept when it was rented (7% per year) by the A&Y as a switcher at Pomona Yard. As a partial rental, the 523 may never have been lettered for the A&Y. According to R.E. Prince the 523 was scrapped at Spencer shops on July 10, 1935.
This website is copyrighted 1998-2016 by David M. Bott. Images appearing on this website may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law, donor restrictions, and other rights or policies. The Railroad Roman font used in the title was bought from Ben Coifman. Persons who contemplate copying and using font or images should obtain all necessary permissions pertaining to use. Authorization to use images credited to the North Carolina Collection, University of N.C. Library at Chapel Hill should be sought from the Collection at CB#3934, Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27514-8890. Telephone 919-962-7992. Images credited to the North Carolina State Library Photo Archives are considered in the public domain. Images credited to others or unknown are subject to copyright restrictions and permission for use should be obtained.
This page last edited Sunday, September 23, 2018