Southern Railway Transfer Cabooses
In the early 1950s yardmasters in New Orleans and Knoxville built 5 transfer cabooses using old flatcars. In 1955 Hayne Shop was instructed to begin construction of more of these transfer cabooses and by 1963 a total of 27 were built. Beginning in 1958 Hayne Shop was authorized to replace the original plywood cabins with more durable steel.
Copyright Larry Puckett
1998, 1999, 2000, 2001.
Last revised: March 03, 2001